I've been taking advicor for five years and now my doctor is switching me to zocor (simvastatin). How long does the niacin stay in your body.. Flushing?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Good question
I researched your question: the half life of extended release Niacin in Advicor (lovastatin and niacin) is very variable, & depends on gender, dose, & individual characteristics.
It peaks 5 hours after a single dose. Following years of treatment, it's probably safe to assume that it will take days (3-5) to wear off completely. Possibly longer depending on dose.

In brief: Good question
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Harris Cohen
In brief: Niaspan (niacin)
The Niacin should be out of your body within 24 hours.

In brief: Niaspan (niacin)
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen
2 comments
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Cohen may be right - it's hard to say, honestly!
Dr. Martin Raff
It does not make any real difference to your overall health. It will clear itself, you do not need to "flush" it, and you should be just fine.
Dr. Gloria Fong
In brief: Less than a week
I usually taper meds down and then switch to the newer medication just to make sure there is not an interaction with muscle aches since the two medications together can cause this problem.

In brief: Less than a week
Dr. Gloria Fong
Dr. Gloria Fong
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology