I'm vitamin d deficient. Is it okay to take supplements and get some sun? I live in the northeast. Doctor wants me on 6k iu a day for several weeks.

Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Supplements yes

Take the vitamin d, make sure you get your level rechecked in a few weeks.
Sun is tricky, a double edged sword. You don't want to increase your risk of skin cancer, and if you use sunblock, you won't make d.

In brief: Supplements yes

Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Supplements = vit D

The vit d you get from your doc is essentially the same vit d you'd get in over the counter supplements, but just at a different dose.
I wouldn't recommend going out and getting a tan - you're getting the vit d already through the pills.

In brief: Supplements = vit D

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Andrea Brand