Why do I wake up in the mornings with brown gunk around my mouth and teeth?

Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Brown Mouth Gunk

Do you smoke? Are you mouth breathing? Are your teeth and gums healthy? Most of the time, brown "gunk" means thick, dirty saliva or gum disease.
I'll bet you are mouth breathing and snoring at night, and drooling in your sleep.

In brief: Brown Mouth Gunk

Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Thomas Bragg

In brief: Many possibilities

It could be secondary to food that you are eating before bed time, it could be the result of acid from your stomach coming up while you sleep, ; it could be secondary to a chronic gum or tooth infection or even a chronic sinus problem.
In any event, you probably need to see a doctor for this one.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Thomas Bragg
Dr. Thomas Bragg
Dr. William Forsythe