I am 8 weeks pregnant. Is yogi "mother to be" hearbal tea safe?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: We just don't know

Because there can be many things in even "natural" products, many of us mfm and OB doctors discourage expectant couples from using such foods, teas, supplements when ttc or pregnant.
If interested in learning more about a particular product for pregnant women, an option is to take the box to OB doctor to read ingredients before resuming it.

In brief: We just don't know

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
I agree! To be clear to Oakgirl5, I based my answer on a review and resources from Lexicomp and Natural Medicines database, along with my clinical experience. As herbal OTC products go, the yogi teas are better quality than many (and taste good!)
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Yes, however

I've looked at the ingredients in this tea and don't see anything dangerous.
However, i'd advise waiting until after the 1st trimester to err on the side of caution, as i think it's wise to minimize any potentially medicinal substances in the 1st trimester. Here's a good article by a noted herbalist i know, chris hobbs: www.Babycenter.Com/406_is-it-safe-to-drink-herbal-tea-during-pregnancy_1246852.Bc.

In brief: Yes, however

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Controversial

According to yogi's website, your herbal tea contains raspberry leaf, spearmint, peppermint and fennel.
Raspberry leaf pills caused no ill effects in 1 study, but more study is advised. Webmd advises avoiding spearmint & fennel since not enough known about their use during pregnancy. Andrew weil, md states many women find peppermint useful for morning sickness but warns it may increase gerd.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Reid Blackwelder

While few studies are done in pregnant women, some herbal products have been evaluated somewhat.
The ones in that tea have not been found to cause harm to expectant mothers or their developing fetus. It is really good to ask about otc products, or any medicine when pregnant. Even some herbal teas have herbs that can cause potential problems, so always ask! have a blessed pregnancy!

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham