How safe is a cardiac ablation? Will it help to cure atrial fibrillation? If it does, will I have to continue taking medication

Usually safe. Although many serious complications can occur during an ablation, when performed by a skilled physician with plenty if experience in a good hospital it is usually very safe. When successful an ablation may allow a patient to come off medications prescribed for the arrhythmia which was ablated. Atrial fibrillation is an arrhythmia which can be cured with ablation.