I've late onset asthma cough variant since 2009. It is under control with inhaler use. My blood test shows 8 percent eisonophilis. Is it high?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Slightly

There is a test called FeNO which is used in some Allergy offices.
A positive test is a marker for activated eosinophils in the airway. Depending on the frequency and severity of your symptoms, an inhaled steroid may be indicated.

In brief: Slightly

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Thomas Josa
Elevated Eosinophils is quite common in people with allergies and asthma.
Dr. Robert Isaacs

In brief: Eosinophils

Yes, 8% is slightly high, but not extremely so.
Typically eosinophils are 5% or less. What was the absolute count? 500 or more is considered elevated. The slightly elevated eosinophil percentage suggests some mild allergic response. Perhaps this is behind your cough-variant asthma. What has your doctor told you?

In brief: Eosinophils

Dr. Robert Isaacs
Dr. Robert Isaacs
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine