My thoracic MRI shows protruding disc impinging and flattening the left ventral cord with diffuse spinal atrophy from T4 - t9. I have upper-mid back pain, cannot sit. What does MRI indicate?

Dr. Joshua Rovner
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Back Pain

This sounds like a herniated disc and/or degenerative disc disease which can cause severe back pain especially while sitting.
This is more common in the lumbar spine but can be present anywhere in the spine. You should definitely have your MRI looked at by a spine specialist.

In brief: Back Pain

Dr. Joshua Rovner
Dr. Joshua Rovner
Dr. William Conner

In brief: See neurosurgeon!

I am concerned with the MRI findings.
You have compression on the spinal cord which could be new. You also have the area of atrophy which is a more chronic condition. Seek out an excellent neurosurgeon to determine if you need more testing or surgery. Good luck.

In brief: See neurosurgeon!

I am concerned with the MRI findings.
Dr. William Conner
Dr. William Conner
Dr. Eric Weisman