How much methylphenidate or dexamphetamine will a child with ADHD normally need to take? 

Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Individual
Adhd: clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder were updated on october 16, 2011 to specify that the dose of medication must be titrated to achieve normality in every individual, adverse effects being the only limiting factor.

In brief: Individual
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Not predictable
Every child/person is different.
I always "start low & go slow" titrating the dose until it is a fit. My experience is that doses have almost nothing to do with age, weight, or even severity of add. Rather they are treating that person's unique neuro-chemistry and the person's specific challenges & situations. Some very small, very hyperactive kids metabolize meds very quickly, needing huge doses.

In brief: Not predictable
Every child/person is different.
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Variable
The proper dose of add/adhd medications is completely unique for each child.
There is no accurate standard dose that fits all and unfortunately much trial and error is often necessary for proper adjustment due to each child's different metabolism.

In brief: Variable
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Jonathan Jassey