I know that the fight or flight response is for our body's safety, so does that mean strokes, seizures, ect, are less likely to happen during panic?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: There is no evidence

To support that. The third.
"f" is. Freeze, which is extremely common in humans. The stress response is designed for survival, but nothing can guarantee safety. While there is no evidence that panic directly causes heart attacks or strokes, there is also no evidence of a protective effect. A book on panic noted a man who thought he was panicking was told by his doctor that he was having a heart attack, to which the man responded "thank god, i thought my panic disorder was coming back".This should give everyone pause to think about how severe panic can be and how frightening it can be the person who is going through it.

In brief: There is no evidence

To support that. The third.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
2 comments
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Yes panic and severe emotion could cause heart failure even sudden death such as shown in Takotsubo syndrome
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Chronic stress I agree. Intermittent panic, highly doubtful. The question had to do with panic
Dr. Patrick Williams
General Practice

In brief: No

Fight or flight mechanism is powered by an adrenaline burst, increasing strain on areas of vascular weakness and compromise.
It's why stressful events can exacerbate these diseases.

In brief: No

Dr. Patrick Williams
Dr. Patrick Williams
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine