I have a stye on each eye and a friend of mine told me to wash my eye with baby shampoo. Does that work?

Dr. Benjamin Chun
Ophthalmology
In brief: No
A study was done looking at efficacy of various treatments for stye (a nonmedical term for chalazion/hordeolum).
The only effective treatment was warm compresses. Sometimes baby shampoo has been recommended for blepharitis, but unless done right, its not recommended as it may irritate the eye further. Typically, if the chalazion isn't improved after a month, incision and drainage may be needed.

In brief: No
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Arun Gulani
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not necessarily
First find out if it is a stye (painful, infective) or a chalazion (no pain, less visible and more chronic).
Stye requires local warm compresses, local and sometimes systemic antibiotics. Chalazion requires warm compresses, steroid drops and i also offer meibomian gland probing technique in some cases. In recalcitrant cases, surgical drainaige will be needed. Rule out rosacea.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Arun Gulani
Dr. Arun Gulani
Dr. Cindy Juster