I had some seizures at 16 but have been free of them for two years now. I am interested in the air force. Will they take me?

In brief: Med requirements

The following is cause for rejection for enlistment: "epilepsy, beyond the age of 5 unless the applicant has been free of seizures for a period of 5 years while taking no medication for seizure control, and has a normal electroencephalogram (eeg).
All such applicants will have a current neurology consultation with current eeg results. Eeg may be requested by the reviewing authority".

In brief: Med requirements

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: See response

I hate to rain on anyone's parade.
I found this quote on the epilepsy foundation website. It is best to contact the air force recruiter and discuss this with them as it is is not something that can be ignored. See comment for quote.

In brief: See response

I hate to rain on anyone's parade.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
3 comments
Dr. Cornelia Franz
The regulations now state that an applicant will be considered on an individual basis if there has been no seizure recurrence since age five, or the applicant has been seizure-free without medication for the five years immediately prior to the application. The Air Force's medical standards for flying training, however, are more stringent.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
These disqualify anyone with any history of paroxysmal convulsive disorders, except that seizures associated with febrile illness before five years of age may be acceptable if the electroencephalogram is normal.
Dr. Eric Weisman