Is it typical for a periodontist to do root planing (dental cleaning) or does a hygienist do this?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Hygienist

Hygienists are trained to do cleanings.
Dds will do sometimes, especially if problems, e.g. Periodontal disease, "pockets", severe caries (cavities), etc. Even if hygienist does the cleaning, the dds will come in, examine, oversee the work done, review or order xrays (as indicated), etc.

In brief: Hygienist

Hygienists are trained to do cleanings.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dentistry

In brief: Both

Hygienists are trained for non-surgical periodontal therapy (scaling and root planing).
Both of my hygienists are also trained for proficiency with soft tissue laser decontamination, which, done with scaling and root planing assists in banishing the bacteria in the pockets. Surgical periodontal procedures are performed by the periodontist.

In brief: Both

Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dr. Dell Goodrick
Dr. Jonathan Engel
Dentistry

In brief: It depends

I refer to a periodontist who does his initial prep, but is ready to get a hygienist.
Most perio offices have hygienists but that should not be your determining factor. It is your trust of the doctor that should matter most.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Jonathan Engel
Dr. Jonathan Engel
Dr. Jack Hinkle