Is cord blood or bone marrow treatment best for thalassemia?

Maybe cord blood. Research is ongoing, but the hope is that stem cell transplantation from umbilical cord blood will be better tolerated (less rejection from the thalassemia patient) than donor bone marrow stem cell transplantation.
Yes. Both can be used in the treatment of thalassemia, but transplant is reserved for those with severe thalassemia. Both cord blood and bone marrow have their downsides, which is why not everyone with thalassemia should get a transplant. Talk with your hematologist.