Pericardial effusion? Treat with diuretic?

Pericardial effusion. If pericardial effusion is part of systemic fluid overload (anasarca) or as a result of renal failure (uremic) diuresis might be helpful. If the effusion, however, is large and compression prevents ventricular filling, then diuretics could make things worse, by reducing the preload and depressing ventricular filling even more.
No. There are many causes of pericardial effusion and diuretics are not the usual treatment. Check with your doctor as to the reason for the pericardial effusion and the amount (small, moderate or large) which would usually dictate the treatment.