I have been diagnosed with mallet finger with a fracture. Any ideas about returning to sports?

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: What sport?
Most bony mallet fingers are treated with an extension splint that is worn full time for 6 weeks.
If you are playing a sport requiring you to catch a ball, there is risk that you will reinjure the finger and displace the fracture. Once there is evidence on xray of sufficient healing, you would be able to return to sport with minimal risk.

In brief: What sport?
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine
In brief: Mallet Finger
It needs to be kept splint in a bit of hyper extension for around 6 weeks.
Any flexion ruins whatever healing you get. I would strongly think about how important it is to compete right now and what alternative exercise you can do which won't risk reinjury to the finger.

In brief: Mallet Finger
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine