What is sickle cell beta thalassemia?

Got both mutations. A person has sickle cell beta thalassemia if he inherited one gene mutation for sickle cell anemia, and also inherited one gene mutation for beta thalassemia. He can have symptoms of sickle cell disease, unlike patients with only sickle cell trait who are generally without symptoms.
Sickle Cell + B Thal. Sickle cell beta thalassemia is a condition in which one of the paired chromosomes for hemoglobin contains a sickle cell mutation and the other contains a beta thalassemia mutation resulting in an abnormal hemoglobin. Complex rearrangements/ crossovers may occur as well. The clinical severity varies with the mutations involved.