What is the difference between HDL and LDL cholesterol levels?

Directional. Total serum cholesterol is made up of several component lipoproteins. Amongst these are fractions: hdl-c is the "good", which you want to be as high as possible and ldl-c is the "bad" which you want to be as low as possible. Lifestyle and, if needed, drug therapy, can help towards those goals.
Good vs Bad. Hdl is high density lipoprotein. Hdl provides a vital service in removing cholesterol from the vasculature, and accelerating its excretion in the liver. In general, an HDL >50 is recommended. Ldl is low density lipoprotein. This harmful type of cholesterol leads to atherosclerosis, which can lead to stroke, heart attack, or peripheral arterial disease. In general, an LDL <130 is recommended.