Is there much post operative pain relating to inguinal hernia repair?

Moderate. It depends on the type of repair that you have. In general, open (large incision) hernia repair has more pain and disability than a laparoscopic (small incision) hernia repair, but it depends a lot on you and your pain tolerance. Your surgeon's techniques also play a role. Most people require moderate narcotics after surgery to control their pain.
Not much. Most of the time moderate pain , will need just non narcotic pain medication only , how ever some sensitive patients will complain of severe pain for few days, requiring narcotic medications for a wk or so.