Why is informed consent overlooked when it comes to resident obstetric treatment?

Dr. Ankush Bansal
In brief: It shouldn't
All procedures should go through an informed consent process regardless of who is doing the procedure.
You do not need to give consent to be seen by a resident. It is your choice to go to a teaching hospital. If you don't want that, don't go there. A resident is a licensed doctor who is undergoing specialty training.

In brief: It shouldn't
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Having residents around keeps the older doctors smart. I knew this when I was a resident, and now being an older doctor, I know I was right. You're in the best possible hands with the residents at a teaching hospital.
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery