If I adopt a child with sickle cell anemia, what should I expect?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Talk to a specialist

They can be well a lot but can have a lot of pain issues, pulmonary problems, more infections than other kids, maybe need transfusions and can be overwhelming if you do not know what you are getting in to.

In brief: Talk to a specialist

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Kate Tulenko

In brief: Joy, stress, meaning

How wonderful! recent developments have allowed people with sickle cell to live longer, more full, and less painful lives.
However, they still have to take daily medication and are frequently hospitalized. Each child is different, but consider that you will most likely have to miss days at work while your child is sick.Talk to a pediatric hematologist before adopting a child with sickle cell.

In brief: Joy, stress, meaning

Dr. Kate Tulenko
Dr. Kate Tulenko
Dr. Arnon Rubin