With bipolar does hypomania always precede mania?

In addition. Changes in mood can be abrupt, whether these moods constitute normal variability or extremes. Moods are like the weather, not just poetically, but scientifically, subject to what are called "phase transitions". Most importantly, mixed states of mania and depression exist are are very dangerous--these are not just the "average" of both.
No. The difference between mania and hypo mania is in part severity of symptoms and in some cases the development of mania may be gradual and preceded by hypomania, but mania also.