Can people with bipolar have episodes of hypomania before depression as well as before mania?

Yes. The pattern of mood cycling varies both between individuals as well as within the same individual. The pattern you describe is possible.
Yes. This is the more common pattern of mania or hypomania followed by episodes of depression. As patients get older the manias become shorter and less frequent while the depression gets longer and worse. This is why early treatment is so important to prevent this worsening.