What effect could hypokalemia have on the heart?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Heart may stop!

Potassium (k+)levels in the cells of the whole body are maintained at very specific levels (normal serum levels are @3.
5-5.0). If the intracellular level drops significantly, serum level lowers. Proper muscle function is very dependent on potassium levels. If low, both nerve cells that control heart rhythm and muscle cells contracting heart are affected. Most common cause=diuretics. Serious prob.

In brief: Heart may stop!

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Clarence Grim
Low K if severe enough will lead to fatal arrhythmias. One can also get what is called hypokalemic cardiomyopathy in which congestive heart failure can develop.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Can K bother heart

1. you will die if too low due to irregular heart beats or stopping.
2. You will notice irregular heart beats. 3. You may develop heart failure. Find out the cause and correct it. This is all I do. Consult with me if your team is not getting to the cause of the problem. Should take no more than 2 weeks to figure it out.

In brief: Can K bother heart

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim