I suspect i may have hernia in my lower right abdomen/waistline area. I have also had constipation/diarrhea and a bloated feeling on and off for the last week. Are these symptoms of hernia?

Dr. James Goodyear
General Practice

In brief: Abdomen Pain Hernia?

Usually a hernia presents with pain ; a bulge more in the inguinal/groin area rather than the lower abdominal although constipation diarrhea ;bloating may be present in large, obvious hernias, in the absence of a bulge consistent with a definite hernia, such symptoms are more consistent with a gastrointestinal problem. An evaluation by your physician or a gastroenterologist is in order to begin.

In brief: Abdomen Pain Hernia?

Dr. Warren Foster
Cardiology - Cardiac Electrophysiology

In brief: Gastroenterologist

You should see a gastroenterologist, surgeon, or even your primary doctor. On occasion bowel can become entraped or strangled in the hernia.
If you have symptoms of severe pain, discoloration at the site of the hernia, or develop blood in the stool, you should go to the er for evaluation. The symptoms of constipation/diarrhea/bloating that you describe are less likely due to a simple hernia.

In brief: Gastroenterologist

Dr. Vicken Poochikian