1 yr old has small red bumps on legs and buttox. Ongoing for a week and spread up his thighs. Could this be irritation from detergent or should I make an appt asap?

Possibly. It sure can be an irritation from the detergent. I don't think you need to worry too much. Put otc Hydrocortisone on the rash twice a day. If not better by monday, see you doctor.
Red bumps. Sight unseen, i would not recommend the use of hydrocortisone. The rash may be due to a virus such as molluscum contagiosum and the use of Hydrocortisone may exacerbate the rash even further.A doctor's visit seems appropos.