Why should an endodontist do my root canal and not my regular dentist?

C prior answers ++. Ever good health professional--- be it physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, generalist (regular), chiropractic, acupuncturist, osteopath, specialists, physical therapist, nutritionist, alternative medical therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists (md or do), must know their limitations and know when to refer. Basic tenet: first, do no harm.
Maybe not. Many general dentists do excellent endodontic, "root canal", treatment. They have had extensive training and with experience can achieve outstanding results. However, some difficult cases are better treated at a specialist, an endodontist, as they have high resolution microscopes that few general dentists have. Endodontists are able to treat difficult cases with more predictable results.
Root Canal. Your dentist may choose to send you to an endodontist if he feels the case is too difficult or complex for him to treat. This is not uncommon and it simply depends on the skill or comfort level of your general dentist.
Either. This all depends on the complexity of the root canal treatment and the skill, judgement and experience of the general dentist performing the procedure. A general dentist can do these procedures if they have continued extensive training in endodontics and have developed the skill and judgement over time. If a particular general dentist refers to an specialist, that just means the case is complex.