What is a good alternative to psychotherapy for dysthymia?

Dr. Kevin Nasky

In brief: Try again OR meds

Often pragmatic reasons (cost, time) steer people away from psychotherapy.
Many others had a bad therapy experience (my advice to them would be to try again with another therapist...More so than other doc-patient relationships, a "good fit" is crucial here). Others, however, are just not good therapy candidates, any many do get better with antidepressants alone. Talk to your doc to explore options.

In brief: Try again OR meds

Dr. Kevin Nasky
Dr. Kevin Nasky
Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Meds and therapy

Dysthymia is more difficult to treat than recurrent depression, because it is more persistent.
Medications can be helpful, but should be combined with therapy. Finding a therapist you can work with may take several attempts. Keep trying.

In brief: Meds and therapy

Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: Many Medications

Dysthymia is treated with psychotherapy and/or medications.
Better outcomes usually occur when both are combined. Foregoing psychotherapy there a number of medications that have proven to be effective such as: ssris like prozac, zoloft, paxil, also remeron, serzone, effexor, (venlafaxine) Cymbalta and wellbutrin. Mean response is about 55% with meds. Ssris are generally tolerated better.

In brief: Many Medications

Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Meds up to a point

Medications can work up to a point to manage emotional difficulties, but the optimal combination is meds and psychotherapy (and there are many different kinds of psychotherapy).
You have to find the one that works for you. I would suggest psychodynamic psychotherapy or psychoanalysis.

In brief: Meds up to a point

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Jack Hinkle