Jaw pain/headaches for 5 months. I've gotten meds and they didn't help. I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled hoping that will help. If not, what next?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Ortho or prostho

5 months is a long time to be in pain, I am sorry for you.
Medication really masks the underlying cause, so is an inappropriate long term therapy. I really doubt that removal of wisdom teeth will help you, they could be causative in only very special circumstances. See an orthodontist/prosthodontist who are experts at diagnosing problems of occlusion. Without examination i can't tell you more.

In brief: Ortho or prostho

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Maybe TMJ

Jaw pain and headaches can be due to temporomandibular (TMJ) dysfunction especially if you grind your teeth or clench your jaw at night.
Improper teeth alignment can also cause tension to the jaw. See an ENT doctor if the wisdom teeth extraction doesn't help.

In brief: Maybe TMJ

Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
Dr. David May
Dentistry

In brief: TMJ

If the wisdom teeth removal doesn't fix the problem, have the tmj's examined by a dentist who treats many of these type of problems.

In brief: TMJ

Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Jaw pain

See a dentist for a bite plate (mouth guard) to wear at night.
A lot of times these symptoms are caused by grinding your teeth at night; if so, this will help. The condition is called temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome.

In brief: Jaw pain

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr