My son (age 12) dropped a 5lb weight on his toe. Should we take him to see our family doctor? Will he loose his toe nail?

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Toe injury
Yes you should take him if the toe is swollen and painful to make sure he does not have a fracture.
The doctor can tell you the probability of losing the toe nail.

In brief: Toe injury
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Paul Williams
In brief: Toenail injury
Ouch! - he may develop a subungual hematoma (blood collection under the nail).
This is painful but usually doesn't cause loss of the nail. Trauma due to a crush injury can cause fractures of the toe bones. I would ice it and keep an eye on it. If he develops the hematoma - your doctor can drain it if it gets too painful.

In brief: Toenail injury
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Cindy Juster