Is thorazine (chlorpromazine) a safe sleep aid. I have always had insomnia and I hate those z-drugs. Worried about tardive dyskinesia. I take a small dose at bedtime.

Not just for sleep. Thorazine (chlorpromazine) is a major tranquilizer with potential side effects which have to be monitored. It should not be taken just for sleep unless there is a mental condition which requires medication such as this one. Even when there is a condition which requires a major tranquilize, some of the newer medications are often used since they have less serious side effects. You should discuss this med with ur M.D.
Depends. Thorazine (chlorpromazine) is an antipsychotic. It has a variety of indications. It is associated with a variety of risks including (but not limited to) liver disease, heart rhythm disturbances, involuntary movements, and blood cell suppression. There are many management strategies for insomnia including non-pharmacological treatments. While thorazine (chlorpromazine) is sedating, it is not considered first line for sleep.
Check with your doc. I guess since you're taking thorazine, (chlorpromazine) you must be getting it from a doc. Why not ask them if you can either have a good evaluation for what you suffer from insomnia or if more specific sleep medications wouldn't be better for you. Any of the "z" drugs as you say have the real risk of causing tardive dyskinesias. Thorazine (chlorpromazine) as a sleep aid is somewhat passe in my opinion.
Try other measures. This is not usually used as a sleep aid. Even at small doses, taken on a long period of time, tardive dyskinesia can occur. It seems to happen more in females , however.I suggest you explore other ways of treating your chronic insomnia, using sleep hygiene, listening to relaxing music, meditation, using herbal products like valerian root and chamomile.