I am 27 weeks pregnant.If my ankles are swollen really bad does that mean my blood pressure is high?

Dr. Jesus Yap
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not necessarily

Ankle swelling during the third trimester of pregnancy does not necessarily mean you have toxemia of pregnancy but it is important that you need to be check by your obstetritian as toxemia is a very serious threat to the fetus and to the mother.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Jesus Yap
Dr. Jesus Yap
Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: No

Swelling in the lower legs is common in the third trimester and is usually due to the pregnant uterus restricting flow from the lower extremities back into the central circulation.
Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy are frequently associated with increased swelling, but swelling alone does not necessarily predict abnormal blood pressure.

In brief: No

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology