If a baby has hand, foot & mouth disease, how likely is it to return once the sores have cleared up?

Hand,Foot & Mouth. Hand foot mouth disease (hfmd) is a viral infection of children caused by coxsackie virus a-16, a type of enterovirus. Individual cases and outbreaks of hfmd occur worldwide. Recurrence of hfmd is very rare.
Depends. There are at least 2 strains of enterovirus that can produce the HFM pattern illness. Each strain will induce immunity to that strain after illness.That said, since there is more than one strain, you could have a separate illness with both strains.The same strain would not pass back and forth several times like a strep throat might.