What is a safe OTC sleep aid for insomnia? Is melatonin ok?

Melatonin. Melatonin is a very safe and effective substance for insomnia. We naturally produce melatonin in our pineal gland every evening, because the release is triggered by low light or darkness in the environment. If you are under artificial light, melatonin is produced but not released. Also, it has been found that it is an antitumoral agent. Sometimes melatonin needs higher doses, up to 20 mg is safe.
Sleep aid. Melatonin is ok, but more importantly you should change your life style. Turn off all electronic devices including texting an hour before bed time. Try to go to bed at the same time every night. Listen to quiet music, take a warm bath an possibly a glass of warm milk.