What's the best treatment for croup in a 4 yr old?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Take to doctor

Although you can place the child in a highly humidified atmosphere by firmly closing the bathroom door and turning on the very hot water to create steam, the best thing to do would be to have them seen by a pediatrician to make sure of what you are dealing with and how they would prefer to treat it.

In brief: Take to doctor

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Paul Williams

In brief: Croup

Croup is a viral condition ( laryngotrachiobronchitis) which causes a barking cough - similar to a seal barking.
Humidification will help with the cough. I have had success with placing the child in a humid bathroom - running the shower on hot - and then taking them into another room the change in temp helps. Keeping the child calm helps but sometimes steroids and Epinephrine are needed.

In brief: Croup

Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Cindy Juster