What causes a child to grind their teeth while sleeping? Baby teeth were ground down. I worry now about adult teeth. The child is 8.

Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Sleep bruxism
The cause(s) of bruxism are not fully understood.
Causes include stress and anxiety, sleep disorder, misalignment of teeth, aggressive or hyperactive personality. Give that baby teeth were ground down, i would recommend you see a pediatric dentist to evaluate the integrity of your 8 yr olds permanent teeth and strategies to keep your childs adult teeth intact.

In brief: Sleep bruxism
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Aaron Ufberg
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Bruxism
No one knows why bruxism happens.
But in some cases, kids may grind because the top and bottom teeth aren't aligned properly. Others do it as a response to pain, such as an earache or teething. Kids might grind their teeth as a way to ease the pain, just as they might rub a sore muscle. Many kids outgrow these fairly common causes for grinding.

In brief: Bruxism
No one knows why bruxism happens.
Dr. Aaron Ufberg
Dr. Aaron Ufberg
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Q 4 Dental/ENT/Child
Thanks for asking this question.
I have shared it with experts in child behavior (mds and phds), ENT specialists and dentists on the site. @drpam.

In brief: Q 4 Dental/ENT/Child
Thanks for asking this question.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Cindy Juster