What do I do if my 3 yr old son got bit on the arm by the family dog?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: First make sure...

...That the dog's rabies immunizations are up to date.
If your son has not had a tetanus shot recently, he needs one. The wound needs to be thoroughly cleaned. There is no need for antibiotics unless an infection is present, or thought to be very likely to occur.

In brief: First make sure...

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Martin Raff
If the bite was provoked, either by teasing or attempting to take food away from the dog follow Dr. Eastern's advice. If this was an unprovoked attack you need to seriously reconsider keeping this animal around your 3 year old, and also make sure the dog has not been around other animals.
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Dog Bite

Bite by family dog who has had his shots, you need to clean the wound and most of the times depending on the size and location of bite needs prophylactis antibiotics to prevent infection.
Make sure your child has had all his baby shots including tetanus vaccine.

In brief: Dog Bite

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna