My 14 month old has a rash and I think it is contact dermatitis. He has allergies and asthma. My question is can he still go to daycare?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: If contact rash, yes
Contact allergic-type rashes are not contagious to other children.
Though your child's rash may be itchy or bothersome to him/her, it will not spread. If your child is comfortable and there are no signs of a secondary bacterial infection (pus/ yellow-green drainage from any of the spots), it should be fine to return to daycare.

In brief: If contact rash, yes
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Rash in 14 months
If the rash is not contagious then he can go to day carebut you will have to have him examined by babies doctor to certify that the rash is not contagious, and also get him trated for the rash.
If it is contact dermatitis or eczema then he will need cream for it and some med to stop itching if it is itchy.If it is severe then he may need short course of oral steroids.So take him to his doctor.

In brief: Rash in 14 months
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Yes, but...
Contact dermatitis is not contagious, and shouldn't prevent going to daycare.
However, true contact dermatitis is pretty unusual at that age. You should discuss this with your pediatrician, and consider an evaluation by allergist to determine with certainty the exact cause of the rash.

In brief: Yes, but...
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Need diagnosis.
Before sending him to day care, you need to know that he does not have a virus (such as chicken pox) or other contagious condition.
"i think it's contact dermatitis" is not a diagnosis - especially since 1-year-olds seldom if ever develop contact dermatitis. Get him evaluated by your pediatrician or a dermatologist before sending him to day care.

In brief: Need diagnosis.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Lee Perry
In brief: Yes, if contact derm
I would recommend having his rash evaluated by his pediatrician--if it is simply contact or atopic dermatitis, he an still go to daycare.

In brief: Yes, if contact derm
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Marsha Davis