When can I use regular toothpaste to brush my baby's teeth?

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Depends.

You can use regular toothpaste at whatever age the child is capable of understanding that they are to rinse the toothpaste out of the mouth rather than swallowing it.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Spitting.

When your child can spit on command and you know for sure they won't want to swallow the toothpaste, then you can switch to regular adult toothpaste.
(you don't want your baby swallowing a lot of fluoride). Usually by 5 yrs old they know to spit out the toothpaste always.

In brief: Spitting.

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. James Cunnar

In brief: After they can spit

Great question. I recommend starting regular Fluoride toothpaste once the child can spit effectively, which is around 2 or 2.
5 years of age. That way, you ensure they aren't getting too much fluoride, which can be detrimental to tooth development.

In brief: After they can spit

Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Cindy Juster