How is a pheochromocytoma diagnosed? I've had abdominal ultrasound in december-clear, routine blood work is normal should I proceed with further tests?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Pheochromocytoma

If you have symptoms of a pheochromcytoma (p), computed tomography (ct) scanning and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) have higher sensitivity in detecting p's than does nuclear medicine scanning.
Ask your physician to order on of those tests for you and you may arrive a a diagnosis of a p. This will allow you to have a treatment plan for it. Good luck.

In brief: Pheochromocytoma

Dr. Robert Isaacs

In brief: Pheochromocytoma

An ultrasound may not produce an image with sufficient resolution to see the tumour, even assuming it is in your abdomen.
A ct scan would be a better study, and may need to include the pelvis, chest and neck. And routine blood work will not show it either. You will need to have what is called a urine metanephrine test.

In brief: Pheochromocytoma

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery