Do I have copd?! emphysema? Almost 25. Wheezing. I'm quitting smoking after 8 years. Sob. History of anxiety. Cough that tastes bad. Doc says reflux

Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Unlikely

Not after 8 years, even 2 packs/day.
Nicotine withdrawal slows gut=>constipation=>reflux which causes wheezing. Also, healing lungs eject retained smoky mucous from deep down that tastes bad ; increases wheeze. Anxiety worsens, too. If it helps, it all happened to me when i quit 2 packs/day for 9yrs. It's temporary. Drink lots of fluids, rest. Treat wheezing/reflux if needed. You're so worth it.

In brief: Unlikely

Not after 8 years, even 2 packs/day.
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Rhonda Simons

In brief: Quit Smoking!

It is likely contributing to your reflux and making it way worse than it would be it if u quit.
Plus, if you quit now, it's much less likely to develop COPD or emphysema. Raise the head of your bed if you can, or sleep on a special wedge triangle pillow that elevates the whole top of your body from the hips up. Gravity helps keep acid down. My favorite med is dexilant (dexlansoprazole). Good 24 hr coverage. Ask doc.

In brief: Quit Smoking!

Dr. Rhonda Simons
Dr. Rhonda Simons

In brief: See answer

Asthma, copd, emphysema, bronchitis, reflux (gerd) all common causes of the symptoms you mention and all either caused, predisposed by, or aggravated by smoking.
Given your young age, COPD and emphysema less likely. Stopping smoking most important step in treatment and prevention along with appropriate pulmonary evaluation to help accurately diagnose and determine appropriate directed treatment.

In brief: See answer

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: Your doctor's right

You've nailed it! stopping your smoking is the single best thing that you can do.
Emphysema is a tough diagnosis to have, because it is not reversible. However you can keep it from progressing by taking care of your lungs now. You need to have your anxiety address, so that your need for craving for cigarettes can be replaced by something that's more healthy. So finding a good smoking cessation support group is helpful.

In brief: Your doctor's right

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology