How do doctors diagnose meningitis?

Lumbar puncture. Symptoms of meningitis typically include high fever, ill-appearing child, vomiting (usually without diarrhea), neck pain/stiffness or alteration in mental status (eg. Excessive lethargy). Some children may have a purplish rash on the body. The clinical signs may prompt further testing. The definitive study of choice is a lumbar puncture (spinal tap).
Spinal Tap. Although, we often have a pretty good idea when examining a child, that they have meningitis, the only way to diagnose it is with a spinal tap. Xrays and blood tests are no help.