I was in contact with a child with chicken pox today, is it effective for me to get the vaccine now to prevent me from getting chicken pox?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Get some protection
The incubation for chicken pox is about 10-21 days (time of contact to development of disease), and vaccine results in some immnity as early as 10 days as well and excellent by 3 weeks time.
So, in your case, you will likely get some protection. However, it is a good chance that you are already immuned to it..Likely exposure to it when u were younger..Consult your doc. Good luck.

In brief: Get some protection
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Maybe
The incubation period for acquisition of infection with vz-virus is shorter than the time period necessary for development of measurable antibody titers, but this should not prevent you from getting the vaccine.
It may confer early partial immunity, and will certainly modify the risk of your getting shingles later in life.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Tara Passow
Dermatology
In brief: Probably too late
I don't think you could count on immunity since it takes a while to develop.

In brief: Probably too late
Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Tara Passow
In brief: Maybe
You may be immune as most adults are even if you don't have a history of having the disease.
Having the vaccine within 72 hrs of exposure to active CP is considered safe, even if it doesn't prevent the disease. It can confer enough immunity to protect you.

In brief: Maybe