What tests will my doctor perform to determine if I have anemia?

Dr. Christopher Quinn
Emergency Medicine

In brief: CBC

A simple blood test- CBC (complete blood count) is used to check initially for anemia.
There are other blood tests that are used to check for different types of anemia.

In brief: CBC

Dr. Christopher Quinn
Dr. Christopher Quinn
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: CBC.

A CBC (complete blood count) will tell if you are anemic.
If so, additional tests are done to determine why. They usually include nutritional studies (iron, B12 and folic acid), and possibly tests to evaluate rate of red cell production (reticulocyte count) and test of other organ systems (kidney, liver, hormones). There are other tests done for unusual causes, but that is a start.

In brief: CBC.

Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Dr. Arnon Rubin