What should I do if my doctor or surgeon tells me that I need a blood transfusion?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ask for what

When somebody needs blood transfusion, this means one the blood component is low enough it may cause serious health problems, see what is the problem he is concern about? And discuss with if there is any alternatives.

In brief: Ask for what

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Pathology

In brief: Discuss

Agree with dr. Hadied.
I would find out why it is needed and discuss alternatives. The latter include iron treatment to build hemoglobin levels prior to surgery, salvaging blood lost during surgery and giving it back to you. I no longer recommend autologous blood, in which patient donates blood in advance of the surgery to be later given to self if needed.

In brief: Discuss

Agree with dr. Hadied.
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Arnon Rubin