How do you explain your bipolar disorder to your children?

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
In brief: Warmly by age
Each child has a particular maturity.
Address yourself using this as your guide. A younger child will understand ''medicine'', being ill . More mature child will appreciate more details such as ''mood'', ''feelings'', have a really good doctor, ''will be with me, us for a long time''. Do make sure you allow each to feel you are available for concerns & questions. And each is safe & loved.

In brief: Warmly by age
Each child has a particular maturity.
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. John Moranville
In brief: Depends on age
First you can let them know that everyone has mood swings, but that yours are more extreme than most people.
Hopefully, you are on medication and can tell them you take it to help you from getting too sad or too happy. For older children you can go into more detail of what a manic or depressive episode is. See other answers in my virtual practice.

In brief: Depends on age
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Cindy Juster