What causes anemia during pregnancy?

Dilution, iron def. As the baby grows and the uterus enlarges, more blood volume is needed. The number of red cells increases, but the plasma (liquid part of blood) increases even more, so the red cells get diluted. If there isn't enough iron in a woman's system to make the extra red cells, anemia will be more pronounced. If you are anemic to begin with before pregnancy, it will be worse while pregnant.
Water Retention. During pregnancy your body makes more red blood cells, but your it also normally holds onto more water. The increase in water is greater than the increase in red blood cells, and that causes a mild anemia in almost every pregnant woman. Your body uses iron to make red blood cells, and because the baby uses iron, your obstetrician may determine that you need extra iron in the form of a pill.