If I am taking menopausal hormone therapy (mht) how does that affect the amount of iron I should take?

Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Iron

Usually after menopause the persons need for iron drops drastically because the menstrual periods have stopped.
Blood loss requires lots of iron to manufacture new red blood cells. After menopause it is advisable not to take iron as too much iron can cause illness in the body e.g. Iron buildup in the liver called hemochromatosis.

In brief: Iron

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Michael Swor

In brief: Iron therapy

No effect. Usually no extra iron is needed in otherwise healthy women after menopause.
Ask the doctor if you need it since you aren't menstruating.

In brief: Iron therapy

Dr. Michael Swor
Dr. Michael Swor
Dr. Adam Levy