I am a vegetarian. What steps should I take to make sure I get enough iron?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Vegetarian

In addition to dr. Baez's answer- you can open this site: www.
Ironrichfood.Org for more information. The more crucial thing for you will be to make sure you take some vitamin B12 supplement as you are prone to have vitamin B12 deficiency. You can take oral tablet daily, or sublingual form vitamin b12.

In brief: Vegetarian

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Pathology

In brief: Supplement

Basically, you need to.
All the stuff you read about "how to get enough iron while you are a vegetarian" is misleading. A woman needing 18 mg/day nees 20 tablespoons of fancy molasses or 16 serving of broccoli to stand a chance. If you want to continue this business, you'll need a vitamin-and-mineral supplement. Get with an evidence-based vegetarian-friendly physician & preserve good health.

In brief: Supplement

Basically, you need to.
2 comments
Dr. Esther Poza-juncal
or consider a nutrition consult.
Exactly. I ran out of room. A good dietician can be invaluable.
Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: Diet

Sources of iron - egg yolks, molasses, raisin bran, raisins, prunes, dried apricots, figs, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, lentils, split green peas, enriched cereals, enriched macaroni, spinach, greens, broccoli, lima beans, avocado.
Cook in a cast iron pan. The following foods can help your body absorb iron better: orange, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit, broccoli, brussels sprouts.

In brief: Diet

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Adam Smith