What are signs of a nervous breakdown?

Dr. John Moranville
In brief: Too generic a term
Nervous breakdown could mean many things including depression, mania, some type of psychotic disorder, or even a personality disorder.

In brief: Too generic a term
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Horacio Capote
In brief: Not a Diagnosis
"nervous breakdown" is a commonly used phrase that does not correspond to any specific diagnosis.
I get the sense that it means people are no longer able to cope. It's probably more important to know how someone is functioning physically (sleep, energy, appetite), at work, & in relationships. If there are problems in any of these areas then they need to be addressed. I hope this helps.

In brief: Not a Diagnosis
Dr. Horacio Capote
Dr. Horacio Capote