My child still has seizures. What are risks of hemispherectomy?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Talk to neurosurgeon

The fact that a hemispherectomy is a consideration indicates your child has intractable seizures.
Hopefully the best outcome from a hemispherectomy would be stopping seizures. I would talk to the surgeon about the risks. Removing a large part of the brain would result in weakness even paralysis. Surgeon would know that most as he is the one doing the procedure.

In brief: Talk to neurosurgeon

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
I would encourage you to try acupuncture/Chinese Medicine as well. You may find it helps a lot with seizures...

In brief: Hard to say

Many kids eventually grow out of having seizures or at least attain control under the guidance of a pediatric neurologist.
You give no specifics about your case, so risk of such a procedure in the future is unknown. If you are concerned about the direction your kids management is taking, seek out a second opinion with a pediatric neurologist.

In brief: Hard to say

Dr. Eric Weisman